Monday, January 25, 2010

Banana Ice Cream

This is what I make when I have a sugar craving. We make these several times a week, usually late at night to enjoy while watching a good movie or an episode of star trek. :) Before you can make this you need to freeze ripe bananas. Because we use so much of these I try to buy over-ripe bananas in bulk from the produce manager. They will often give them to me at half off or some other deal. (I have the most luck at Lin’s, buying red-banded bananas). I peel and break the bananas in half (if your blender isn't very tough you'll need to break the bananas in bite size pieces) and stuff them in big zip-loc bags to freeze. The frozen bananas are what makes the shake so creamy. Don't substitute unfrozen bananas! In a few hours they'll be ready for your banana ice cream.

3 Frozen Bananas
1 cup vanilla Soy or Rice Milk
1/8 tsp Nutmeg
1/2 tsp Cinnamon

This isn't a science. I hardly ever measure, I just grab a few frozen bananas, add enough milk to blend the bananas and make the smoothie the consistency you like and add spices to taste. Blend until it's all smooth and enjoy.


*variation:  instead of cinnamon and nutmeg I add 1 Tbs. of almond or peanut butter and 1 Tbs. of carob or cocoa for a chocolate peanut butter smoothie.  Mmm…  

No comments:

Post a Comment